Protecting outdoor wood furniture is not hard to do. Follow along for how to clean outdoor teak furniture and seal it from the elements.
With a few simple steps once a year you can preserve the beauty and structural integrity of your teak furniture for decades.
Teak is considered one of the most sought after hardwoods in the world. Its dense grain and high natural oil content give it both strength and beauty. Fresh teak is best described as a warm, golden color. Over time the wood slowly matures into a silvery gray patina.
Cleaning your teak outdoor furniture every 1-2 years is a great way of protecting wood furniture outdoors.
1. Clean. Start by using warm water, dish soap and a scrub brush to clean the surface of your furniture. This will remove any dirt or mildew that has accumulated over time.
2. Sand. Once the wood is clean & dry, gently sand your furniture. This is a great time to remove any scratches or stubborn stains. We recommend starting with a low grit sandpaper (120-180) and finishing with a high grit sandpaper (220-320). Make sure to always follow the direction of the wood grain.
|before dusting||after dusting|
How to Seal Teak Outdoor Furniture
4. Re-apply. Add a second coat immediately after or within 24 hours of the first. Two coats of sealer is sufficient for most applications.
How to Maintain Teak Outdoor Furniture
5. Maintain. After sealing, occasionally clean your teak with a simple soap & water solution. This will keep your furniture looking fresh throughout the season and prevent any mold from forming. So, you've learned how to seal and how to clean outdoor teak furniture, now comes maintenance.
Most people re-apply sealer every 1-2 years. Sealers come in multiple shades so be sure to test out the color on the underside of your furniture before starting. Keep in mind that the color will naturally lighten overtime.
The Benefits of Clean Outdoor Teak Furniture
Teak furniture is a popular choice for outdoor and indoor use because of its durability, beauty, and resistance to weather and pests. However, like any other furniture, teak needs to be cleaned and maintained regularly to preserve its appearance and quality. In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of cleaning teak furniture and how to do it properly.
- Maintains Appearance
Teak furniture is known for its beautiful golden-brown color that turns silver-gray with age. However, exposure to the elements can cause teak to develop stains, mildew, and dirt that can detract from its natural beauty. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help to remove these impurities and restore the furniture's original appearance.
- Prevents Damage
Teak is a durable wood that can last for decades with proper care. However, neglecting to clean and maintain teak furniture can cause it to deteriorate over time. Stains, mildew, and dirt can seep into the wood and weaken its fibers, leading to cracks, warping, and other types of damage. By cleaning teak furniture regularly, you can prevent these problems and extend the life of your investment.
- Removes Harmful Substances
Teak furniture is often used outdoors, where it is exposed to pollutants, bird droppings, and other harmful substances. These substances can be unsanitary and can cause health problems if left unchecked. Regular cleaning can help to remove these substances and prevent them from affecting your health.
- Improves Safety
Dirty teak furniture can be slippery and hazardous, especially when it is wet. By cleaning teak furniture regularly, you can prevent accidents and injuries that can result from slips and falls. This is especially important if you have children or elderly people who are more prone to accidents.
- Enhances Functionality
Teak furniture is often used for dining, lounging, and entertaining outdoors. Dirty and stained furniture can be unsightly and uninviting, and can detract from the functionality of the furniture. By cleaning teak furniture regularly, you can ensure that it remains inviting and comfortable for you and your guests.
In conclusion, learning how to clean outdoor teak furniture was done in 5 easy steps! Cleaning teak furniture is essential to maintaining its appearance, durability, and functionality. Regular cleaning can prevent damage, remove harmful substances, improve safety, and enhance the beauty of your teak furniture. By following the proper cleaning process, you can ensure that your investment in teak furniture lasts for years to come.